I don’t know what to do in life
I am young and I don’t know what to do in life. This is probably the most general question that teens are looking for. I have been asked this question from many teenage guys I know. I am going to talk to them directly in a conversational tone.
Q: I am young and I don’t know what to do in life?
Believe me 80% – 90% of people reading this still feel the same. You are not the only one. Don’t stress yourself out. What you are feeling right now is felt by everybody else out there. They might not share this thing but the situation is the same as yours.
It is fine if you are young and don’t know what to do with your life. Don’t beat yourself up for this. And please do not enter panic-driven mode and rush into making decisions that you will regret your whole life. The decision that you will take in this panic mode might serve you some success in a short time but in the long run, you are not going to be satisfied with your life and you will end up in the same situation that you are in right now.
Q: Is job satisfaction necessary? Is money not important?
Everybody has dreams to buy expensive clothes, go on holiday, eat out in good restaurants, etc. These are all material needs, and once you fulfill all of these you start looking at money from different POV.
You might have heard people saying that money is not everything, this might sound BS to you right now but it is 100% true. Money is important but it’s not everything. But I have researched, studied, and have listened to several podcasts of many successful people and one thing that stands common in their life is, they didn’t do this for money. After a certain point of time in their life they realized it was never money that they longed for, it was their inner peace. It is the most valuable thing that you can achieve once you are successful. In the end, no matter what you do, you will realize that inner peace and satisfaction is the most valuable thing you will ever achieve in life.
Q: I am about to complete my studies. How can I find my path?
There are many things you can do to figure out what path you have to choose. I have personally used the below-mentioned method to help myself out, though it’s a bit long process, the results are guaranteed.
- Take a pen/pencil and a physical notepad ( Don’t use in phones or laptops, trust me on this one)
- List down the top 5 things that probably interest you that you can work on happily for your whole life if you don’t have any limitations. If you are someone who likes to have opinion from your friends or family. Feel free to reach out to them and brainstorm with the people. Don’t get influenced or biased, be careful to analyze what will suit you.
- Now, research all you can on these 5 topics, every pro, and con – every minute detail that you can get from the internet or from people you know. Don’t leave anything out. Give 100% of your time for a few days or weeks in doing in-depth research on these topics.
- If it’s a new skill or something that you need to teach yourself then go ahead and work on them. You will eventually find out if you were interested or it’s just a temporary thing.
- Soon you will be giving more attention to a single field than all other fields, the one that you love working on the most. Study more to find out what other people are doing in this field and how they do it or build your path in this field.
To Build your own path, I know it’s easier said than done. It’s a long process, but if you work honestly, eventually you will get there. Never think you are all alone in this one, the majority of the world, not just the teens but also grown-ups are in the same dilemma. The whole world is with you.
Q: What if I chose the wrong path in my life?
I will be honest. It happens. I began with the wrong path too. I started with a Call center job after engineering (for money), changed to freelancing in web development with 350GC(still unsatisfied), then changed to business in chemicals and textiles, and now I am here. Don’t be afraid of failures. Just make sure whatever path you choose to take, go on it with a pure heart. Be honest with yourself. This is the only quality which will help you to survive until the end.
Lastly, I would like to add, just make sure you try to help out more people on your way to success. This will help you to stay grounded and also keep reminding yourself that this struggle is not faced by you alone but almost everyone goes through this phase and if you could help someone get out of this phase, that could be your biggest achievement.